The New York Burlesque Festival is an annual four day event that takes place in New York City each fall. This burlesque festival premiered in 2003 and was founded by Jen Gapay of Thirsty Girl Productions along with Angie Pontani, Tara Pontani and Helen Pontani of The World Famous Pontani Sisters.
The festival features over 100 burlesque and variety performers from around the world, making it one of the largest international burlesque events in the world.
Now run by Angie Pontani and Jen Gapay, the festival has grown has featured performers including Dirty Martini, Murray Hill, Julie Atlas Muz and more names in burlesque and boylesque—as well as live music, comedy and variety.
The four nights of the festival take place at various venues throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn. Featured nights include a Thursday Teaser Party, the Friday night Premiere Party and the Saturday Spectacular. In 2005, Pontani and Gapay added Sunday’s Golden Pastie Awards. In addition to live performances, all shows feature interactive elements where patrons get burlesque makeovers or purchase paraphernalia such as pasties, costumes and corsets.
Venues for the festival include B.B. King Blues Club in Times Square, the Highline Ballroom, Brooklyn Bowl and The Bell House. Previous venues have included Le Poisson Rouge, The Maritime Hotel, The Limelight and the now defunct Supper Club.
- Albert Cadabra
- Amber Ray
- Brown Girls Burlesque
- Darlinda Just Darlinda
- Dr. Lucky
- Foxy Tann
- Gigi La Femme
- Gravity Plays Favorites
- Jo Boobs
- Jonny Porkpie
- Lefty Lucy
- Little Brooklyn
- Kitten Deville
- Legs Malone
- Miss Astrid
- Nasty Canasta
- Scotty the Blue Bunny
- Trixie Little & the Evil Hate Monkey
- The World Famous *BOB*
- ↑ Tantum, Bruce (2011-05-17). "Interview with Thirsty Girl Production's Jen Gapay". Newyork.timeout.com. http://newyork.timeout.com/music-nightlife/nightlife/1422285/after-dark-inquiry-jen-gapay. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- ↑ "Not Just Naughty: N.Y. Burlesque Busts Out". NPR. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113452781&ps=cprs. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- ↑ Posted by Meredith (2009-09-24). "24/Seven: Shake, shimmy and shine: NY Burlesque Festival returns". 24sevenbrooklyn.blogspot.com. http://24sevenbrooklyn.blogspot.com/2009/09/shake-shimmy-and-shine-ny-burlesque.html. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- ↑ Chang, Talisa. "Greenpoint Gazette:Burg-Lesque: New York Burlesque Fest Kicks Off in Williamsburg". Greenpointnews.com. http://www.greenpointnews.com/news/burg-lesque-new-york-burlesque-festival-kicks-off-in-williamsburg. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- The New York Burlesque Festival
- Golden Pastie Awards
- Thirsty Girl Productions
- www.pontanisisters.com (Pontani Sisters)
- Voce New_York_Burlesque_Festival di Wikipedia in inglese (base per questa voce, versione di riferimento, aggiornamenti effettuati)