The song is about the anticipation and excitement of a night out on the town. Released as a single in August 1982, it became Jackson's biggest Billboard Hot 100 hit in the U.S., peaking at number six. It was his second biggest hit on the UK Singles Chart, also reaching number six. Only "It's Different for Girls", which reached number five in the UK in 1980 did better. The music video for the song, directed by Steve Barron, featured a housekeeper pretending she was a Cinderella figure. It was filmed over one night in the St. Regis Hotel in New York during the summer of 1982.
In 2002, "Steppin' Out" appeared in the video game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, playing on pop radio station Flash FM. A loop of the instrumental portion of this song is used as the theme music for the WYES-TV (New Orleans, Louisiana) weekly arts and entertainment program, Steppin' Out.
The song is heard as background music in the 2009 film, L'affaire Farewell. It is used in a scene set in 1981, which predated the actual release of the song.
A snippet from the song appears at the end of a 2011 Target television commercial for Pedigree dog food.
- ↑ 1,0 1,1 1,2 Strong, Martin C. (2000). The Great Rock Discography (5th ed.). Edinburgh: Mojo Books. pp. 485–486. ISBN 1-84195-017-3.
- ↑ 2,0 2,1 "Steppin' Out" by Joe Jackson at Songfacts.com
- ↑ Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 274. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- ↑ [(INGLESE) http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p4574/biography "Biography by William Ruhlmann"]. Allmusic.com. (INGLESE) http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p4574/biography. Retrieved 4 May 2009.
- ↑ Talking shop: Gabriella Cilmi BBC News, 28 January 2010
- ↑ State of Nature, Album review, Nov. 17, 2008.
- ↑ Kurt Elling: The Gate - review, Album review, Mar. 10, 2011.
Steppin' Out su YoutubeModifica
- Voce Steppin'_Out_(Joe_Jackson_song) di Wikipedia in inglese (base per questa voce, versione di riferimento, aggiornamenti effettuati)